Thursday, June 5, 2014

12. Books, books, and more books

Blogging for this Thing:  Use at least one of these apps and write a blog post about what you think about the app and how you may be able to use it personally or professionally. If you know of another app that would fit under this Thing, tell us about it in your blog, too.

I tried :  Wattpad for Android.  Wattpad is a place where writers submit chapters of their written work a little bit at a time for those in the Wattpad community to read and post comments to the author about the stories while the story is in progress.  At first I thought I was putting full works in "My library" but then recalled only one of the items I selected actually said 'Completed'.  I don't find this a useful tool since most of the reading I do as a librarian is pre-reading so that I can purchase or recommend titles to the high school students that I serves.
Classicly  is not available via Google Play store that I could find. When I looked via my pc I could only signup with my FB account.  I don't link my FB account to outside accounts.
iStoryBooks appears to be for a younger crowd. I appreciate knowing that there are only 25 free books, since that is a deciding factor that I don't need to waste time exploring this app.
AudioBooks just don't interest me for professional use.  When students want audio books, I direct them to the public library.

wattpad logoWattpad: Apple / Android

Wattpad is a social media community focused on connecting readers and writers through stories. There are thousands of books available, including a number of “classic” titles from Project Gutenberg. Writers can submit their stories to be shared on the site. Access is completely free and there is the opportunity to connect with other readers. Wattpad will allow you to read from a variety of platforms, including tablets, phones, and of course, a laptop.

freebooksiconFree Books: Apple / Android

Free Books is an app from Classicly that allows you access to over 23,000 books considered “classics” for free. Most of the titles are public domain books and come primarily from before 1923. You can read ebooks from this app. The ebook reader has some nice features, including the option to highlight or add notes.

istorybookslogoiStoryBooks: Apple / Android

iStoryBooks is an app that contains 25 free children’s story books, both text & audio. There are books in the following categories: fairy & folk tales, animals, educational, and Ramayana (Hindu stories). According to the company, they publish new books every two weeks and they will appear automatically on the app. The app does provide access to premium content as well.

AudiobookslogoAudiobooks: Apple / Android

This app allows you to listen to thousands of audiobooks for free. The free version only allows for streaming of audiobooks; it does not allow you to download audiobooks to listen to offline. The selection of books includes professionally narrated modern best sellers and hand-selected classics edited for maximum quality.

YALSATeenBookFinderlogoYALSA Teen Book Finder: Apple only
Android app coming in 2014

ALA’s Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) has produced an iPhone app (which will work as well on an iPad) to help teens, parents, librarians and library staff, educators, and anyone who loves YA literature access to the past three years’ of YALSA’s awards and lists on their smartphone.

No comments:

Post a Comment