Tuesday, June 10, 2014

22. Discovering Apps

Blogging for this Thing:  Use at least one of these websites or apps and write a blog post about what you found and how this may or may not be a good way for you to discover new apps. If you know of another website or app that would fit under this Thing that you like better, tell us about it in your blog, too.

I really was expecting better things from Quixey.  I had high hopes.  There was 1 app for and iPhone or iPad under Learn --> Education.  ONLY 1.  There were 7 apps for Android devices under the same path of Learn --> Education.  This "Search Engine for Apps" was a huge disappointment. 
After I got my Android, I did subscribe to an RSS feed for the Android App of the Day which alerted me to free apps during that 24 hour time period.  I did pick up a handful of apps and while most were games, I soon ran out of the free use time and would have needed to purchase the app for cash to continue using the 'free' app.  I deleted many apps from my phone through this process.  It seemed the 'free' time period got shorter and shorter that I spend more time loading and deleting the apps than actually using the apps so I stopped looking at what was free for the day and stopped the notifications.
Interesting to me, after the Heartbleed alert I actually was hacked via a fake paypal email.  Grrr  I guess since then I don't take this whole download, try, delete process lightly.

The only viable alternative to the Google Play Store for Android apps is the Amazon App Store.  I'm not so sure how they are different.  I will look into more as to how they are different and which 'Store' screens their apps more closely.
I really feel like I want the security of the iStore but the flexibility of an Android.  Yes, I want my cake and to be able to eat it with lots of ice cream too.  Wow I didn't realize self-discovery was part of this whole 23 Mobile Things.
________________________________________________
There are millions of apps, which can be overwhelming, and sometimes it’s hard to find new apps that you may enjoy, but there are websites and apps that can help you. Yes, apps can help you find more apps. In this Thing we’re going to introduce you to one website and two apps you can use to find apps.

quixey logo

Quixey: Website for Apple, Android & More /Android app

Quixey is the app search engine and it’s a great way to discover apps. It allows you to search for the type of app you’re looking for and it gives you great suggestions. It’s a much better way to do some keyword searching to find apps than you’ll get in the Apple or Android stores.

dotd logoDroid of the Day: Android only

Droid of the Day (DOTD) is a great way to find free apps in the Google Play Store. DOTD will present you with a unique app every day that you can even get via a daily notification. Apps may be productivity apps, game apps, notetaking apps, photo apps, etc. There’s no guarantee you’ll like every app, but you’re bound to find some good ones from time to time.

apps gone freeApps Gone Free: Apple only

Apps Gone Free is a great way to discover apps from the App Store that have gone free for the day. To get the word out, apps will occasionally go on sale for a day or a week and this app lets you know about them. You’ll find five to ten apps of all different kinds highlighted per day.

Searching online

You can also find great apps by doing searches online for things like “Best of” or “Best of 2013,” etc. Check out some of the tips we have for searching online, and some of the great lists we’ve found.

No comments:

Post a Comment