Tuesday, June 10, 2014

19. Hobbies

Blogging for this Thing:  Use at least one of these apps, or, if these suggestions do not cover a current interest of yours, treat yourself to find an app that fits your passion and use that for Thing 19. Write a blog post about the app you have chosen and why it may help you with your hobby. If you know of another app that would fit under this Thing, tell us about it in your blog, too.

I downloaded RoadNinja and looked at things nearby.  Very Outdated information on this app. I found a Timberlodge Steakhouse listed on Robert St in West .St. Paul. Timberlodge left this location about 2009. I tried several times to post this information on the website but was unable to update the incorrect information.  I also left this information on the 23 Things RoadNinja page.  I had just registered for the RoadNinja site so that I thought I would be able to leave comments to update this information, when Blaaah the blue screen of death hit my computer.  I certainly hope I was not infected with a virus.  I proceeded to delete the RoadNinja app from my phone immediately.

This whole 23 Mobile Things has me wondering if I should have gotten an iPhone.  I really don't like that Android apps are not tested and deemed virus free apps.  My phone is not what I use for music and in my school library I had a heck of a time getting Spotify off of some of our school computers.  To me it was the program that wouldn't die.  Spotify would actually stay running in the backround and ramdomly pop up in the bottom right corner of the machine.  Students would call me over to the machine and ask me to get the box off of their screen.

Typically my hobbies are things that I create.  I do use websites to enhance my hobbies, but don't need to wear down my phone battery with an app when I would rather be enjoying active hobbies.
___________________________________________________________________

There are a lot of hobbies out there and there is almost an app for every hobby you can imagine. We’re also willing to hear about apps you discover for your hobby.

MyGarden iconMyGarden: Apple / Android

For those with a green thumb or interest in discovering who online might have gardening advice, try MyGarden. This web service and companion mobile apps categorizes itself as the Facebook of gardening.  Share what is in your garden, ask for help identifying plants you would like to add (or eliminate), and get useful information for your growing zone.

Vivino iconVivino Wine Scanner: Apple / Android

Vivino Wine Scanner is a quick, easy way to keep track of wine you and your friends like…or don’t like. Just snap a photo of the wine label, record your likes or dislikes, and share them with friends. You can also discover wine this way, too. Snap a photo of a label to see how Vivino users have rated that wine.

RoadNinja icon.jpgRoadNinja: Apple / Android

When you are on a road trip, you often want to know what services are at upcoming exits. RoadNinja helps you by providing information on restaurants, gas stations (including gas prices!), hotels, shopping and more. The app brings you services that are within 3 miles of a given exit. This is a free app available for both Android and iPhones.

ESPN SPortsCenter androidESPN SportsCenter: Android only

SportsCenter is an Android/iPhone phone app, but works on a tablet or iPad. It has more teams/sports to follow including more non-US teams than ScoreCenter. It has all the same features as the ScoreCenter app with live scores, breaking news, video highlights, in-depth analysis, personalized alerts plus a few more. The iPhone app is identical to the Android app, except the buttons are at the bottom of the screen.

spotifySpotify: Apple / Android

Spotify is now free on mobile devices, and it’s a must-have for any music fan. With Spotify, you have access to a world of music. You can listen to artists and albums, create your own playlist of your favorite songs, or listen to ready-made playlists. We’re even going to challenge you to make a playlist for your library.

No comments:

Post a Comment